You write a lot—tweets, speeches, blog posts, news releases, op-eds, feature stories, white papers, video scripts. But you sense that you can write with more clarity, persuasiveness and power. And you’re right.
World-renowned writer and writing instructor Jeff Herrington will teach you how to write social media posts people will act on, personality features and customer success stories that inspire your readers, releases that get published, web copy that gets eyeballs, and scripts that distinguish you as your communication department’s go-to writing guru.
In an interactive day filled with inspiring and instructive examples, you’ll not only see great writing, you’ll produce some great writing of your own.
You will learn:
- What to do before you write. Use these techniques for effective research and interviewing to make the writing process easier, and the result more convincing.
- The two main types of news releases, and how to write them. Lessons in structure, style and content.
- The feature story is intimidating, but it needn’t be. Learn how to break the long story into smaller parts, how to choose a structure and stick with it, and how to write a lead, transitions and a conclusion that hold the whole thing together.
- How to write effective website content. How to “chunk” your writing—by the paragraph and by the sentence—so that even the fastest-scrolling reader digests max information.
- What makes for successful headlines, subheads, teasers: How to write them so they grab the most readers.
- How to write viral social media posts: Master keywords and hashtags as well as stylistic methods that make your posts not only irresistible to read but rewarding to share.
- How to make all your work better by using interesting vocabulary and rhetorical techniques, worthwhile quotations and the active voice—and by always, always, always focusing on human beings, rather than inanimate objects, programs or processes.
Decent writers think they can improve their craft. Good writers know they can. Take that knowledge and transform it into action this year by embarking on a day trip down a raging river of advanced writing and editorial techniques offered by this world-renowned writer and writing instructor.
This workshop has already taken place. If you’d like to discuss a custom workshop on this subject with Jeff Herrington at your workplace, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Meet Jeff Herrington
Jeff Herrington has traveled to more than 45 countries on five continents as a writer for the internal and external publications of IBM, AT&T, Whirlpool, Baxter Healthcare and John Deere, among many other companies. He has written and overhauled websites, directed social media activities, crafted communication campaigns and created award-winning content for many of the largest organizations in the world. In raved-about sessions at industry conferences and intimate workshops around the world, Jeff has taught thousands of communicators how to write for every corporate medium.